Eshet chayil mi yimtzah
Verachok mip'ninim michrah
Batach bah lev ba'alah
Veshalal lo yech'sar.
Gemalat'hu tov ve'lo ra
Kol yemei (yemei) chayeiha
Darshah tzemer ufish'tim
Vata'as bechefetz kapeiha
Haytah ka'oniot socher
Mimerchak tavi lach'mah
Vetakam be'od lailah
Vatiten teref leveitah
Zam'mah sadeh vatikachehu
Mipri chapeiha nat'ah karem
Chag'rah be'oz motneiha
A WOMAN OF VALOUR
Who can find a wife of valour
For her worth is far above jewels
Her husband has full confidence in her
And lacks no value.
She brings him good, not harm,
All the days of her life
She selects wool and flax
And works with eager hands
She is like the merchant ships,
She brings her food from afar.
She gets up while it is still night
She gives food for her family
And portions for her servant girls
She considers a field and takes it
By the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard
She works by the strength of her own hips
Her arms are strong for her tasks
|Words transliterated and translated by George Jakubovits of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.|
|Ashkenazic Hebrew translation by George Jakubovits of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.|
• The words to Proverbs 31:10-31 are sung to a traditional melody every Friday night in many Jewish families. This traditional melody was composed by Ben Zion Shenkar in 1953. There exist many other melodies to the same words with no known dance.|
• The words to Proverbs 31:10-15 are set to music by Golan Azulai and a dance by Sara Kletter.
• There are also words are set to music by Moshiko Halevy and a dance by Moshiko Halevy.
• The words to Proverbs 31:26-29 are set to music by Yosef Vald and a dance by Yossi Azani and goes by the name Piha Patcha.
• The words to Proverbs 31:25 are set to music by C. Lanzbom and a dance by Moshe Eskayo and goes by the name Oz Vehadar. The dance is called Debka Chayim.
Special thanks to Gary Fox of Portland, Oregon for these notes
|Contact the publisher of Hebrew Songs.com|
Eshes chayil mi yimtzo
verochoik mip'ninim michro
botach boh leiv ba'aloh
vesh'lol lo yech'sor.
Gemolas'hu toiv ve'loi ro
kol yemei, yemei chayeiho
darshah tzemer ufish'sim
veta'as bechefetz kopeiha
Haytah ke'onios soichar
mimerchak tavi loch'mo
vetakem be'od lailoh
vetiten teref leveiso vechok lene'aroseiha
zimemo sadeh vetikchehu
mipri kapeiho not'o kerem
chogoro be'oz motneiho
Please note that all these translations © are courtesy of www.hebrewsongs.com
We thank our more than 400 volunteer translators from 190 cities in 42 countries.
When sharing these words please acknowledge the address www.hebrewsongs.com/?song=eshetchayil